Saturday, October 23, 2010

Seasonal Depression and Mental Wellness

I was quite pleased when I heard a higher up in our local hospital administration tell me that they are shifting the focus of attention from mental illness to mental wellness - isn't it incredible what a difference one word can make. A positive connotation versus a negative one. So with that in mind I want to briefly share some information about something that I too struggle with, seasonal depression. And having mentioned it in a recent post and in passing a few times in the past week or so, I have had a lot of feedback and questions.

I have always been one to really enjoy the winter months. I love to play in the snow, sledding, skidooing, cross country ski and even just walking, but the past few years I have started to notice a cycle of lows that I attribute to a mild seasonal depression. It started to become more of an issue for me a few years back after competing in a figure competition. The winter seemed long and the weight piled back on very quickly. I blamed my fatigue, lack of motivation and craving of high and often refined carbohydrates on the "post competition rebound". Although I am sure it was a contributing factor, I became very aware of my "blues" and being the person that I am, started to pay attention to my body and what it was telling me. It happened again the following year and then again last year.

I have done a lot of reading on and off about a variety of mental health issues and it has always been a topic of interest to me as many of my family members have struggled with a variety of these issues. I remember being VERY concerned during both of my pregnancies about post-partum depression and with the familial history was almost certain that I would be afflicted! Luckily, I was not. Mood swings, hormonal craziness, definately, but I was blessed to not have any more serious issues than that (I can only imagine how it would have been on top of the 2 colicky kids!?!?).

There is a boat-load of great information posted on the Canadian Mental Health Association Website and I would encourage anyone to check it out here... - as well as all the other great information that they provide. But here is my little summary from the site.

The weather, there is no doubt, can have a profound effect on our moods - well we are all aware of that. We feel so much better when we see the sun shine that's for sure! But for many people, the shorter fall and winter days bring about a change in the body resulting in a seasonal winter depression. This depression can vary in severity from a very mild "winter blues" to quite severe where it can interfer with normally daily functioning and worse.

They note on the site there is also a form of summer blues although less common; but I can tell you from experience, living in a place with as much fog as we get here, it might be more common than previosuly thought.


What Causes SAD?
Although there is no defined cause per se, there is strong eveidence of a link between the amount of daylight and the variations that we see throughout the seasons. We evolved to be more active in the daylight hours yet our society today has other plans. We do not get to hibernate through the winters although I am sure many of us would love to! We live in an industrialized society where we work, shop and play at all hours of the days and night - our bodies and it's rhythms are messed up! I can honestly buy into this theory, it makes perfect sense to me. There is also evidence that certain brain chemicals are affected in situations where SAD is present.

What are the symptoms?
Like many other forms of mental health issues, SAD can be difficult to distinguish from other illnesses. When you look at a list of symptoms it is easy to see how there is a lot of crossover between various forms of depression and other medical conditions. The most commonly recognized symtoms include:

- change in appetite, in particular a craving for sweet or starchy foods
- weight gain
- decreased energy
- fatigue
- tendency to oversleep
- difficulty concentrating
- irritability
- avoidance of social situations
- feelings of anxiety and despair

Who has SAD?
Well anyone is at risk but there is a higher rate in women then men and it is also noted that people in northern atmospheres are more susceptible due to the shorter days. Although it can happen in childhood and teenage years it is more common above the age of 20.

Treatment Options
If you have SEVERE depression of suicidal thoughts then you must seek professional help immediately!

But for those with milder cases then there are a variety of options available for treatment...although it is still recommended that you consult with your physician.

- It is suggested that you spend as much time outside, in the daylight, as possible. Sit near windows and add extra lighting when you can.
- Exercise has been proven over and over agian to be a mood lifter and stress reliever, stimulates the release of endorphins (those feel good chemicals in the brain). There is NO debate on this one! And if you can exercise outside...even better!
- A winter vacation to a warm sunny place is always a great choice if that is feasible.
- Photo (light) therapy is probably one of the most common treatments; using a special UV light which you expose yourself to for 20-30 mins a day (we have a happy light and we love it!)
- although very briefly mentioned on the Canadian Mental Health SAD page, I feel that nutrition plays a MAJOR role in this as well. Eating a carefully balanced nutritious diet is essential. Ensuring that the body is receiving all of its vitamins and minerals so it can function at its optimum level is very important. With cases of depression it is often found that the B vitamins are of paricular importance. A diet high in refined and/or starchy carbohydrates and low in fruits and vegetables will often add to the fatigue that accompanies the blues.
- after consulting with your physician, medication might be an option for you as well.

There is my summary of points from the CMHA site as well as a few of my own thoughts thrown in for good measure. There is a lot of information out there about this and it is actually more common than you might realize.

My advice? Find your triggers and create a plan to counteract them! My plan goes something like this:

Nutrition: Eating 5-6 balanced meals, containing 2 servings of complex starchy carbs on training days and one on non-training days. Good fats, lean protein and lots of fruits and veggies. Drink your water!

Workout: training every other day with active rests on the off days - just basically moving everyday of the week combining strength training and cardio.

Sleep: following a consistent sleep pattern throughout the entire week - no sleeping in on weekends - I function much better when I get up early and go to bed early. Set the body up with a consistent routine.

Mindset: don't forget the gratitude list! Writing 5 things a day that I am grateful for keeps things in perspective for me and keeps me thinking in a positive direction. It is so easy to let the negative energy of others and some situations zap us of our own energy and motivation. And also, for me, focusing on helping others reach their goals keeps me focused on my own. Being a good role model is important to me and a value that I hold very dear.

We have no control over the weather or the seasons or our familial predispositions to certain health conditions, but we have control over if we exercise or not or what we put in our mouths to eat. We can control our thoughts and many aspects of our environments. So I will spend this winter focusing on what I CAN control and not wasting time and negative energy on what I can not.

We are lifting the veil on mental health and illness and making it more understood and hopefully less taboo. I suffer from seasonal depression and I do everything in my power to take care of myself until spring comes again.....do you?

Health and Happiness,
Lesley

1 comment:

  1. Lesley
    Here's the other ingredient that works for me:
    PRAYER!

    When I make my list of Five things to be thankful for I say thank you to the Almighty for allowing me to see them. When I help another I do it because I am being the authentic person I am called to be in Her/His Name.

    Ain't being a Pumkin grand? Now if I could just get that exercise and good eatin' thing down ....... I'd be perfect!!!!!

    ReplyDelete