Sunday, January 16, 2011

I’ve Always Been a Bit Odd...


…then again, who isn’t? As a child I was often bullied and called names for being different; whether it was my appearance or my tendency to befriend “outsiders” I was often picked on and just didn’t fit in. And although I tried to hide behind my odd clothes, short hair and pretend that it didn’t hurt, I believed what they said about me! And it had a profound affect on my self esteem. But do you know something? They lied! And deep down, I think that a part of me always knew it.

I was lucky that I never gave up doing the things that I was good at, even though they teased me and I have to credit my Mom for that! Although when I look back now, I wonder how many things
might I have been good at and I just didn’t try out of fear for giving them more ammunition? I stuck with what I knew, what was safe!

I am learning, as I get older to celebrate my uniqueness. It still doesn’t always make me the most popular person but living my life being true to who I REALLY am has become my mission of sorts. And a part of being true to me is to challenge myself and push myself outside of my comfort zone. Doing things that scare me or that I might fail miserably at, are a part of my life on a regular basis these days. Hey, I figure,if you can’t laugh at yourself, don’t dare laugh at someone else!

Do you live your life playing it safe? Or do your challenge and push yourself? Do you take the risks or do you just hope to muddle through to tomorrow unscathed? Or maybe the real question is....is that really living?

No comments:

Post a Comment