Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Me at a Career Development Luncheon? Do I have a career?


Oh boy does this picture say a 1000 words! I think that every Mom I know feels like this, whether she works outside the home or not, it is always a struggle to find balance. But I digress....


Yesterday I had the incredible opportunity to attend a function with the Career Development Class at the local high school. I guidance counsellor, who is one of my bootcampers, kindly asked me to come along to the luncheon which had a "speed dating" format where the students rotated every 2-3 minutes asking questions about your career. So when I show up my Minister friend asks which hat I am wearing in terms of my career. And honestly I didn't know how to answer. I am a mom first and foremost. I am a fitness professional, business owner and massage therapist. I guess ultimately business owner encompasses the others but I found it very funny that as each student came and went and asked their questions I always came back to being Mommy. (A little ironic since I had to bring Colton with me. As he say next to me and did a math workbook and drew pictures, it occurred to me that HE is my main job, no matter what else I do). All of my other "jobs" and aspects of my career revolve around my children and my husband. Ultimately it is my family who gives me the gift of having the best of both worlds.

The question I was asked the most often yesterday was what do I "like the best about my job" and for me the answer was easy - the flexibility. I create a schedule that works for my family and my life and I am blessed to have people as client who truly understand and support that. At this season of my life this is the way that it is and I wouldn't change a thing. Who knows, a few years down the road things may be different but for now this is just perfect for me and my family and I am proud to say that we have created this together.

The other question that I got asked a lot was about my role models. I initially thought about my fitness role models and those business women I know who successfully manage to balance family and work life. But when I think of my childhood I see the beautiful packed lunches, smell the cakes and apple flips and feel the warmth of returning to a house that was a home. Mom was always there when I got home from school. She was a stay at home mom, although not necessarily always by choice (I certainly remember all of the jobs that she applied for as we got a little older) but she was always there. She volunteered, when she could, at school, she chaperoned the skating trips and other field trips. It was embarrassing at the time, lol, but looking back it gave me an incredible sense of security that I don't think I ever really realized that I had. Now in her mid sixties, and much healthier in some respects, she is working! Doing respite work with developmentally delayed adults. Giving that part of herself that she once gave to us, and finally receiving the love and gratitude that she probably never felt that she received from us. But there is no doubt that my devotion to my children and my family as a unit is something that I learned and lived from a very early age. And I have my parents to thank for that. My Dad was away, working to support us and Mom was home to give us what the money couldn't buy. And I am honoured to follow in her footsteps. My name is Lesley and I am a stay at home mom!

I always say that my family comes first and foremost. They are my main priority. But does the time that I spend throughout my day reflect that? I am first to admit that it does not always reveal the truth of where my heart is. Maybe it is a matter of priorities, maybe it is a matter of obligations but I ask you to ask yourself, just as I ask myself, if your daily activities are a TRUE reflection of what means the most to you?

Health and Happiness,
Lesley

1 comment:

  1. The great use of life is to spend it for something that outlasts it. - william james.
    Ask yourself: How will be remembered? If you are not satisfied with your answer, it's never too late to change it. Ask yourself how you want your family, friends, associates to remeber you- and then go make the memories!

    ReplyDelete